Or, how to stop following a WordPress blog. Clicking the Follow button is not permanent after all.
Apparently it is possible to stop following this blog (or any WordPress blog) if you change your mind, even if you do not have a WordPress account. WordPress gives instructions for followers who have an account, and it turns out that email followers can unsubscribe by a similar (but not identical) process.
So if you’ve postponed following us for fear of it being permanent, fear no more!
Here’s the process:
- Each follow-email WordPress sends has a line near the bottom saying “Unsubscribe or change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions“; the words “Manage Subscriptions” are a link to your personal settings page, and apparently that’s the only way to get there.
- Click the link, or copy the fairly-long URL containing your email address into your browser’s address bar.
- You’ll be taken to a page whose important content is like the screenshot below:
- Under the name of the blog is a hidden link that becomes visible only when you hover your cursor over it (cunning devils): Click the Unfollow link to unfollow the blog.
- Or you can check the box next to the blog name, hover over the Bulk Actions drop-down box, select Unfollow, and click the Apply button: then click the Save Changes button.
If you just want to receive fewer emails, you can do that also. The default is an immediate email for every post, but you can change to at most one a day, or at most one a week:
After you select a new delivery frequency you’ll need to click the Save Changes button.
Thanks to Anne for her help in figuring all this out.