The Central Council of Church Bell Ringers has set up a web page on plans for ringing for the Olympics. A pattern “Five Rings” for Doubles and for Triples (at right) was specially composed for the London Olympics last year by musician Howard Skempton, in consultation with the Central Council to for example make sure it was ringable.
- An audio excerpt of Five Rings Triples.
- A video about its composition.
- A handbell simulation of Five Rings Triples:
At this writing, the plans propose that towers ring:
- As the Olympic Torch passes within earshot,
- During the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympic Games and the Paralympic Games, and
- For any events that are of particular interest to local ringers and their communities.
These plans were apparently made public starting mid-2011, but we are only now getting caught up and talking about them. The Olympic Torch isn’t expected to come through Miami, but we’ll do some ringing for the Olympics as part of the international ringing community.