The 2’s clapper was realigned without difficulty on Feb 1, using the tower’s new 30mm wrench and the 30mm socket:
- Upper (locking) nut loosened and backed off a few turns, then lower nut loosened.
- Clapper aligned by eye by someone on their back under the bell, then fine-aligned by measuring from the wheel to the clapper at each end and in the middle.
- Lower nut tightened while the clapper was held in the new alignment.
- Clapper alignment re-checked.
- Upper (locking) nut tightened while the lower nut was held with an open-ended wrench, then clapper alignment re-checked just for luck.
Now the 2 swings much more quietly.
The 5’s clapper is more of a challenge due to rust on the staple bolt threads that is locking its lower nut in place. The 5 is out of commission while this is being taken care of.
Thanks to new ringers Carroll and Nancy for their capable help!