Trinity Cathedral’s bells were cast in 1983 by Whitechapel Bell Foundry and installed in 1984.
There are eight bells in the ring, sounding an octave of the F major scale. Each is named after someone associated with the Cathedral at that time.
|Treble||F||27¼ inches||558 lbs||“Raleigh”|
|2||E||28 inches||580 lbs||“David”|
|3||D||29½ inches||628 lbs||“Minnette”|
|4||C||31¾ inches||867 lbs||“George”|
|5||B♭||34 inches||863 lbs||“Cal”|
|6||A||36 inches||1024 lbs||“Jim”|
|7||G||40 inches||1414 lbs||“Josephine”|
|Tenor||F||45 inches||2008 lbs||“Bob”|
Each bell was marked on inside with its destination, number, note, and weight (hundredweight-stone-pounds) to prevent any mixups.
At the foundryThe bells are installed in a radial bellframe, one of only a half-dozen in the world. This circular configuration maximizes the stability of the bell tower and minimizes the effect of each bell’s motion on the others.